Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Saya Putar Halim!

“The World Revolves Around Me” a caption in red I saw recently in one website....

That brought back fond memories of an embarrassing moment when I first set foot in England. To be exact, the first time I set foot in the famous Selfridges in London. Revolving doors were quite a normal sight in buildings in the UK at that time, to keep the cold out I suppose. Selfridges was no exception.

So eager I was to set foot for the first time in Selfridges, I made my way to the main entrance fitted with rows of revolving doors. A simple rule to keep in mind when using a revolving door is one person at a time. With my eyes fixed on the inside of the store, I rushed and pushed the revolving door totally ignorant of the people around me. “Hey!” suddenly I heard a lady shouted. To my amazement and even bigger embarrassment, I wasn’t alone in that section of the revolving door. There, together with me, was an old lady (kalau muda nda jua apa ) with a green umbrella, nearly sprawling to the floor by me. After that I got a good “rollicking” from her. No amount of apologies and excuses would have kept her quiet. Being a first timer and a rookie to the UK scene, I suppose that was good enough excuse.

After that, I had a feeling, every time I went near Selfridges, I was a marked man ......

Fond memories indeed .......

No comments:

Post a Comment